Sunday, January 18, 2009

Genesis 47-50 & Psalm 16

Genesis 47-50
The ending of Genesis is filled with the blessings and promises of Jacob and Joseph in their final requests as they die.  Joseph continues to care and feed all of Egypt during the famine.  In fact, as the people of Egypt begin to run out of money to buy the food, they begin buying food with their livestock, and finally by selling their land and even themselves as slaves to buy food.  This will set the stage for Exodus when all of Egypt will be enslaved by Pharaoh.  Joseph introduces his two sons to Jacob before he dies and they are blessed as "sons" of Jacob in terms of the inheritance of Jacob's sons.  On Jacob's deathbed, he begins to introduce the 12 tribes of Israel as he blesses his sons with their inheritance.  The sons fulfill their promise to bury Jacob with his ancestors back in Canaan.  And when Joseph prepares for his death, he instructs his brothers and his sons to carry his body back to Canaan when they return.  The end of Genesis.

There are two interesting notes as we conclude this story.  The first is the assumption of Joseph and possibly Jacob that the return would be immediate.  God's timing is often different than our own.  We live in a timed world that expects everything to be on time.  Often, God is not on our time.  But when we trust Him-He is always faithful! 

The second is that of faithfulness.  We have discussed in Genesis the idea that sin always has its consequences even if they are not immediate.  Likewise, remaining faithful and obedient to God always has its rewards.  They may not be immediate, but they will come!  Can you imagine what Joseph must have been thinking when enslaved or imprisoned?  "Where are you God?"  "Why am I here?"  Instead, and perhaps even amidst his questioning, he remained faithful and obedient to God!  His obedience did not immediately pay off.  He lived that life for several years.  However, God say His obedience and His faithfulness.  And God blessed Him and made Him the 2nd most powerful man in Egypt which ultimately allowed Joseph the ability to take care of his family!  God always sees the big picture even when we cannot!

Psalm 16
Verse one speaks incredible volumes for me-"You are my Master!" (New Living Translation)  The NIV says "In You I take refuge".  When I wake up in the morning, my the first words to leave my mouth be to God saying to Him, "Today Lord, I live in You!  You are my Master!"  I like verses 3-4 because they remind me of church.  I find it comforting to see fellow Christians who I go to church with out in the community throughout the week.  I love spending time with non-Christians then too--hoping that they will see Jesus in me.  But I cherish the times I can sit next to a brother in Christ at a ball game or see a sister in Christ at the grocery store because I know that they believe in Jesus and I hope we can encourage one another as we go about our week!  Verse 5 in the NIV refers to "assigned my portion" which speaks of an inheritance.  This is heaven!  Each day, do I take delight in my inheritance in heaven?  There is a security of knowing you have that inheritance (verse 9).  When I know I am going to heaven, my heart shouts for joy and my body rests.  For we will not stay in the grave left to rot, but we will share in the way of life with Jesus in heaven!  Does that give you reason to live today?

No comments:

Post a Comment